If you love travel and you are committed to ensuring tourists have a memorable experience why not make a career of it?
People who work in travel and tourism have a passion for travel, and a commitment to helping tourists make the most of their holiday whether at home or abroad.
1. Endless opportunities: tourism is a worldwide industry, and the skills you learn at college are easily transferable. A career in tourism can literally open up the world for you, especially if you want to combine work with travel.
2. It’s creative: as well as being a people-oriented industry, a great variety of tourism jobs require you to think on your feet and be creative. People who work in tourism have a crucial part to play, making sure that visitors have a fantastic experience and then go back home to spread the word.
3. Scope: there’s such a wide range of jobs in the industry so there is never any need for you to get stuck in one niche. Tourism courses can give you access to a career as a Tourist Guide, Tour Manager, Adventure Sports Activity Manager, Travel Consultant, Event and Conference Manager, Air Cabin Crew or Airport Ground staff, Holiday Rep – the list is endless!
4. Learn why ‘the customer is always right’: jobs in tourism are all about providing friendly, efficient and attentive customer service. You’ll need good communication skills, the ability to work well with people and enjoy a challenge.
5. It’s not 9-5: it involves a great deal of variety, not only in terms of the hours you can work but also in the kind of work you do.
6. You will be out and about: on our fun and energetic Activity Tourism course you’ll be climbing, sailing, going on course trips and more; exploring the wide range of activity tourism that Scotland has to offer. Growth areas include golf, business tourism, sailing, mountain biking, cruises and adventure tourism.
7. You can be a source of travel advice: the Passport to Tourism course takes you on a journey from seeing how an airport works to what happens when tourists get to their destination, from event organisation to accommodation holiday packages, so that you can help people to make the most of their free time in new places.
8. It’s a dynamic industry: travel and tourism is one of the most dynamic and competitive industries in the world. To stay ahead of the competition, new ideas and skills are constantly being developed across every area of the industry, from innovative mobile applications to creative hotel room design and imaginative tour itineraries.
9. It’s a growing industry: Scotland’s travel and tourism industry is growing! Nowadays, Scotland welcomes tourists from around the globe and tourism is a vital component of Scotland’s economy worth around £11 billion annually according to recent reports.
10. It’s a chance to show off Scotland! Providing opportunities to showcase Scotland on the world stage, showcasing Scottish culture, food, natural environment, activities, cities, traditions and heritage are all vital ingredients to the success of the tourism industry.
College is a great place to start a highly successful and rewarding career in Travel and Tourism.
Apply now for courses starting in August.