There is a wide variety of roles and if you have a good work ethic and a desire to provide excellent customer service then working in this industry could be for you. The opportunities are endless!
1. You get to be part of a major Scottish industry: the food and drink industry is a major contributor to Scotland’s economy with one in five people in manufacturing working in the sector. Scotland has a rich larder of food, producing quality, premium and healthy produce, and with many international brands, it can be an exciting industry to work in.
2. You can make people’s day: Hospitality is about people. Whether you’re a concierge in a hotel, a kitchen porter working behind the scenes, a chef, or if you’re involved in the management of a hospitality business, every time you come into work you’re making someone’s day that little bit better.
3. You’ll gain practical experience: Our Hospitality courses will provide you with practical experience in the College’s kitchens, training restaurant, internet café and licensed bar. Ayrshire College has superb links with industry and almost all students gain work experience while they are studying, giving them the chance to showcase their talents to employers.
4. Work in a modern workplace: You could end up working as a chef in contemporary venues with modern menus. Finish the Food Preparation and Cooking course, you’ll be guaranteed an interview with our placement providers, Buzzworks or SimpsInns, and you could be doing just that!
5. Hospitality is creative: You are creating a product — be that food, drink, or an experience — and there’s always scope to dream up new ways of making it more enjoyable for customers. Successful restaurants and hotels are constantly offering new products, packages and experiences. It takes a lot of hard work to get those initiatives off the ground – and, a lot of creativity.
6. It opens a door to the world: Every country in the world has a hospitality industry, and the skills you will learn at college are readily transferable, meaning that a career in hospitality can very easily be the key to discovering new countries, new culture and new people.
7. No two days are the same: Having a job in the hospitality industry means that you get to have a wide range of opportunities. You can get excellent customer service skills so you can give people a great experience when they stay in a hotel or bed and breakfast, eat in a cafe or restaurant, or visit a bar.
Learn how to manage hotels and restaurants and use your ideas and professionalism to make them successful.
8. Fast track your career: The hospitality industry provides opportunity for development and there is potential to move up the career ladder very quickly. If you work hard, and show initiative, very soon, you could find yourself in a senior position managing people and projects.
9. Meet Hospitality industry professionals: At Ayrshire College, you get the chance to meet professionals who have shaped the hospitality industry, like Bill Costley of Costley & Costley – one of the leading employers within the hospitality industry in Ayrshire.
10. Work with people from different backgrounds: The hospitality industry employs a diverse set of employees and if you enjoy meeting new people and like-minded individuals who share the same passion and it gives you a great opportunity to make life-long friends.
The career opportunities are endless and include Chefs, Housekeepers, Bar Staff, Restaurant Staff, Receptionists and Managers.
View the videos of Ayrshire College Hospitality students to see where a career in hospitality could take you:
So what are you waiting for? Apply now for hospitality courses at Ayrshire College.