- Lots of job opportunities: The events industry in Scotland is flourishing – from major international sporting events like the Commonwealth Games and the Ryder Cup, to music events such as T in the Park and the MOBOs, to an ever-growing number of festivals for foodies, culture vultures, adrenalin junkies, whisky enthusiasts and everyone in between. All these events need talented people to run them. People who are energetic, quick to learn and passionate about all things events!
- Increases your confidence: An event management course will help you develop your interpersonal skills so that you feel more confident dealing with people in the workplace. We do this by involving you in hands-on activities such as organising live events such as fundraising. Event managers need to deal with clients, suppliers, and other people in the organisation on a daily basis, so you need to learn to be confident and assertive.
- Prepares you for the modern office: You will learn how to use the most up-to-date ICT Microsoft packages. If you have great ICT skills you will be immediately effective in the workplace. Event staff use Word and Excel every day so you will need to become confident using these tools. You need to promote your event on websites and social media so you will learn how to plan campaigns and reach your audience.
- Improves your communication: Event staff need to be able to write letters, emails, copy for brochures and flyers, chair meetings and negotiate deals with customers. We also help you develop your listening skills and raise your awareness of the importance of body language. Our employers tell us communication is one of the most important skills they look for in applicants.
- Become a great team player: It’s all about the team! In our collaborative learning environment you will learn to work as a team, how to get the best out of your team and discover what your role is in a team. Event staff are not afraid to get stuck in – although they love planning they are at their happiest when they are doing the practical stuff!
- Learn to deliver exceptional customer service: For an event to be a success you need to understand your client’s needs and deliver a service that exceeds their expectations. An events course will show you how to achieve this. Learn to be professional yet personable and friendly. You’ll appreciate the importance of taking care of every detail in every task you undertake.
- You can exploit your creativity: are you a creative thinker – with the eye of a designer and appreciation for high quality? Are you innovative? Event management gives you opportunities to make a real impact by tapping into your creative side. You will be the person to bring the ideas to the table and helping to make these happen.
- If you love a challenge: Employers need people who can help them solve problems and make decisions that will generate wealth for their business. If you are a hands-on person who likes to deal with practical problems that have to be overcome to get that event running smoothly, then an events course might be for you! You’ll learn how to keep a cool head under pressure – always coming up with solutions on your feet.
- Because you are a people person! You like to talk, discuss, debate, negotiate but most of all feel your contribution is helping. “People buy people” so if you are good at interacting with people and enjoy the experience you will get the most out of an event management course.
- Want to be self-employed? An events management business can be run from home. Studying an events course can help you achieve the knowledge and skills you will need to manage your own business. Stop dreaming and start believing in yourself – you can make this happen!
Ayrshire College are launching a new HNC Events course starting in August 2017. Interested? Find out more here.
Want to hear from someone who is already in the industry? Meet Ada our Marketing and Events Intern, and find out more about her job.